- rice1 Cups(soaked for 20 min)
- large onion1cut in slices and fried till brown)
- vegetable oil1 Tablespoons
- cumin seeds1/2 Teaspoons
- bay leaf1
- garlic cloves2(minced or grated)
- orange food colour1/3 Teaspoons
- a handful coriander leaves(chopped)
- water2 Cups
- mixed whole spices1/2 Teaspoons(cardamon pods,cumin seeds,cinnamon sticks...)
- salt to taste
- peas1/2 Cups
- large potatoes4(peeled, washed,halved and deep fried)
- small green pepper1(chopped)
- small red bell peeper1(chopped)
- large onion1chopped
- tomato paste1/2 Teaspoons
- garlic cloves5(minced or grated)
- 1 inch ginger1(minced or grated)
- 1 inch turmeric1(minced or grated)
- mixed spices1/2 Teaspoons(ground)
- paprika1/2 Teaspoons
- red chilli1/2 Teaspoons(optional)
- black pepper1/4 Teaspoons
- vegetable oil oil1 Tablespoons
- white vinegar1 Tablespoons
Do you want to go vegan? Here is a rice and Spicy peas stew recipe that you will love.
Making the rice
- In a large sufuria (sauce pan) bring the water to boil.
- add bay leaf, minced garlic, cumin seeds, whole spices, salt and oil, stir well.
- drain rice which you had soaked and add to the boiling, stir well and let it cook for 10 minutes on high heat, then reduce to medium, when the water is about to drain, cover rice and lower heat to very low.
- After the rice is cooked, put half of the rice aside, Then layer the fried onions and then the coriander on top of the rice that you left in the sufuria.
- add the other half of the rice, and then the food colour ( i like dividing the food colour by placing them at opposite ends of the rice)
- cover and stir after 10 minutes while u prepare the stew.
Making the stew
- Heat oil in a sufuria, add onions, let it cook for 2 minutes, add ginger,garlic and turmeric, stir well and cook for 30 seconds
- Add black pepper, stir well .
- Add the chopped green pepper and cook for a minute.
- Add carrots and tomato paste and then the grated tomatoes , let cook for about 5 minutes, stir well
- Add the spices (paprika, mixed spices & red chilli), cook on low heat for 3 minutes add red pepper and cook for a minute.
- Add a bit of hot water to make a little sauce, add the boiled peas then the deep fried potatoes .
- Add salt to taste
- cook for 2 minutes and then let it simmer for about 5 minutes, add vinegar and stir well.