- Large egg plants2preferably green
- large onion1
- Garlic powderpinch
- Llarge tomatoes3
- Royco2 Tablespoons
- Tomato paste2 Tablespoons
- Cooking oil2 Tablespoons
- Stalks celery and leaves2
- Small red chilies2
- Saltpinchadd to taste
Intoryi is the eggplant in rwandese. This is a nice inveterate recipe that one could try. Try the intoryi recipe recipe today. You can serve the this stew with rice and you will for sure enjoy.
- Wash and cut each eggplant into quarters and then slice into medium-size pieces.
- Chop the onion into quarters and then slice each piece.
- Grate the garlic and finely chop the tomatoes and chilies.
- Wash the celery well to remove all traces of dirt and then chop the stalks and leaves finely.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan and fry the onion until it starts to colour.
- Add the garlic at this point and continue frying until golden.
- Next, add the turmeric and cook stirring for about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes. Cook stirring occasionally and when almost done add the tomato paste. Keep stirring until the mixture turns dark red.
- Add a little water, if the mixture begins to stick to the bottom of the pan to make a thick sauce and continue to cook stirring for a few more minutes.
- Mix the Royco with a little water and add to the tomato mixture. Stir well and add enough water to make a fairly thick sauce. Add the salt and chilies if using. Cook the sauce for an extra two minutes.
- Finally, add the egg plants and about ½ litre of water. Cover the pan and cook until the purple skins on the egg plants are soft.
- Then serve hot with a staple of your choice or as a side dish.
Depending on your preferences, instead of celery, you can use 2 table spoons of finely chopped coriander or 1 teaspoon of finely chopped Rosemary plant.